Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Portal Portal   Search the forums Search   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   View member list Member List   Staff Staff List   View Topic Activity Topic Activity   Forum Stats Stats   Board Rules Board Rules   Downloads Downloads
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Requirements for Running and Making Skins
Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

Mood: Grey, not stupid!

[*] posted on 3-4-07 at 15:23
Requirements for Running and Making Skins

This is from my Original Post at DFBarracks..posted on 11-8-2003

Links adjusted for our own Download Section..

Loading A Skin Or Other File Into The Game-

If you want to use a skin, .wac file, .bin file, .cin file, .end file, .pcx intro pic etc...or any edited item it doesn't need to be packed. You can just place it in the DF directory and turn on the "use resources from the folder" instead of the pff file.

To do this you must edit the target line of your DF icon. Find your icon, right click on it, go to properties. On the target line, right at the end, after the last " add in a (space)/d then hit OK. See the pic below. It works for all the DF series, Except DF1, where it must be packed into the pff file.

JO and DFX do not need the /d to run extrenal files, just drop them in the JO/DFX folder, and the game will find them...well, this was true up until the last update...,

I suggest you have 2 DF Icons, one standard, and one with the /d, then you can run the Standard one for Internet Gaming, and the /d one, for SP gaming..as mentioned just below..

There are other switches as well..

(space)/s = save the game scores to a text file after each game

(space)/w = open the game in a window

(space)/vidtest = force a video card test..

Note: As I found out with Havoc, if your not running the NoCd patch, the /d command may cause your DF software to crash, or just not start. So if you have problems, download and install the NoCd patch from the downloads section. Make sure it matches the version of the game you are running.

A Word Of Warning-

I use skins on my Home lan, You may not be able to use Skins on a Nova Server. The server must have Player Skins Enabled. If you keep getting tossed out of a game, you will need to turn off the skins by removing the /d, Alternately, you could have 2 icons, 1 normal, and 1 with skins enabled.

I believe Cheat Blocker will detect any changes in your PFF file if you Pack them, so use them at your own risk.

Creating skins that give an unfair advantage to a player is considered Cheating, and is not condoned!

http://www.dfreload.com/forum/pics/BHD.jpg

Now just place the skin or other file in the Game directory. If you want to get rid of it, just delete it, or move it out. Saves a lot of time when you want to test a skin.

Making Skins

You will need a copy of Paint Shop Pro or preferably Photo Shop 7.

To edit skins from BHD, JO & DFX, you will need to download a dds Plugin from Here. Don't forget to install the dll, it goes in the c:windows\system folder.

You will need to be able to extract the files from the PFF files to edit them, you can get that From Here.

For Joint Ops, the dds files are compressed, so you need these tools to decompress them..Devilsclaw Tools

Now you need some skills with Photoshop! I can't teach you, you will need to learn for yourself.

Place your skin into the Game folder, make sure it is named exactly as the original was.

Please don't post your objections to skins in this thread, I will delete them, if you want to complain, start your own thread in the rant and rave forum.

Regards
EE

File links checked and Post Updated on 10JUL11

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top