Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Portal Portal   Search the forums Search   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   View member list Member List   Staff Staff List   View Topic Activity Topic Activity   Forum Stats Stats   Board Rules Board Rules   Downloads Downloads
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Some things I noticed in BHD Single Player
Blaze
Private

Mood: Not Bad

[*] posted on 6-1-15 at 17:36
Some things I noticed in BHD Single Player

Hi everyone! I'm enjoying modding my childhood game, I discovered that the original single player maps have some flaws here and there, and through a good use of the .wac files I was able to correct some of those. Here's a list of what I noticed and fixed (bugs that I remember):

Marka Breakdown: After you clear the small enemy outpost you and Team One are ordered to enter the Black Hawk. However the rest of the team stays on the ground while you take off. With some changes in the .wac, as soon as you attach to the minigun they disappear, giving the feeling they boarded the helo too. (This is far more polished in the PS2 version from what I've seen)

Gasoline Alley: You are able to detach from the .50 cal in the Humvee as soon as the mission starts, so you can see some bugs (soldiers in front of you disappearing) and explore a barren Mogadishu on foot. Instead with my .wac file now the player is locked to the .50 till the Humvee reaches the drop-off zone.

Besieged: This one is different! Thanks to DFBHD I became interested in the real events that surrounded Op. Restore Hope. This mission is a fictionalized representation of an assault made against Pakistanis by Somali militia. Fact is you are a Ranger that is sent with his team to help the Pakistanis but... the mission is set in May 5, while TF Ranger arrived in Mog only in August 27. I modded the .bin file so the mission is in September, as well as the loading screen .pcx. Interesting is to see that originally the mission was meant to be for the 10th Mountain, since both the bin and pcx files refer to you as TFR 3rd Div. 3rd Div is actually part of the 10th Mountain in the game.

Irene: My last for now (apologies for the long post). In here Mogadishu seems so small. With some variables in the .wac I added fog to give impression that the city is bigger like in real life. As an interesting fact, I noticed a thing about the Black Hawks. If you are pretty distant, you can see that the BH have both pilot and co-pilot, while when you're close there's only a pilot. This because I guess each .3di file has distance LODs (levels of detail)
Baldo_the_Don
Administrator

Mood: Nervous, but cheerful.

[*] posted on 7-1-15 at 00:32

Oh, buddy... if there's anything I like more than dissecting DFBHD and TS SP maps, it'd probably be fixing them.

I don't think the NL map team got very detailed in the construction of Marka Breakdown. I think it's primary purpose is to ease the player into the game, so if the one story point or the other doesn't seem right, well, I think it's because the were concentrating on getting the gun runs working.

The insertion convoy in Gasoline Alley is not my main nit to pick in that mission. I personally like clearing a map when I can, and there are so many targets that get stuck behind the containers SE of the garage.

And a few times in Besieged, I got stuck on the .50 cal. hidden at the end of the alley behind the building, or after reattaching to the HMMWV's gun 'cause the .wac shuts of the seatbelt for the dismount, but doesn't deactivate the event that sets the seatbelt on in the first place.

As for historical inaccuracies, well, that's par for the course in all media coverage of the Battle of Mogadishu.

DFBHD has fairly frustrating item limits that any mapper with a bit of ambition is going to discover rather brick-wall-to-the-face-ily too soon, so gigantic urban settings are going to mostly implied in any mission you'll see. I remember playing a Dave Snow mission that was truly sprawling, and it really bogged my old computer down to near unplayability. I need to find that map again...

I've never noticed the BH .3di mistake, though. Maybe I should try playing at a higher resolution? I have very good modding-specific reasons for 1024x768. I'll look for that, though.

I'll leave you with a warning, though: if you're twitchy about glitches in DFBHD SP maps, TS SP maps will induce epilepsy in you. You CANNOT .wac those mistakes away.

Edit: Can confirm fastrope BH co-pilot model LOD glitch. Switch happens at 30m MED center point to MED center point on highest game settings.

Well observed, Blaze.

Blaze
Private

[*] posted on 7-1-15 at 01:11

Haha, I know how bad are TS SP maps. I know most of their bugs can't be corrected through .wac, one has to rebuild the whole mission to correct bad items placement. I discovered that if you edit the maps you break the events and variables in the end. I hate the Coastal Pipeline mission for instance, you can see that the docks are put higher over the ground, or what about the last mission of the Iran campaign? You are supposed to be Delta, not a 10th Mountain.

I didn't know of such a bug in Besieged, I think it is fixable, I'll have a look into it.

BTW, I play BHDTS in a forced resolution of 1920x1080. It is not supported by default, I had to edit the .exe with a program I found thanks to a widescreen gaming wiki. It does have its bugs, most HUD and UI elements are not properly scaled, not to mention that the sniper weapons crosshair is correctly (and strangely I'd say) scaled when using NVG, but wrong when not using them.

Last but not least, many thanks for your mod. I downloaded it back in 2009, it really was an improvement over the original game, especially my ears thank you for fixing Team Sabre's missing sounds. I'm wondering why Nova always had the attitude to ruin things; Alpha versions of BHD and JO seemed better to me under various aspects, at least from what I've seen in some early screenshots.

EDIT: You are right about the frustrating item limit in DFBHD MED. I remember that I tried (many years ago, I was just a kid back then) to add more buildings in the map of the Irene mission. I didn't feel very good when I discovered such a limit after having carefully decorated the terrain. I do think that through HeX editing such limits could be removed or at least lowered. This happened for games such as SWAT3, thanks to the modding community. I still have no idea why tiles are messed up in the MED when you load a .mis converted from a .bms
Blaze
Private

[*] posted on 7-1-15 at 18:38

Kharg Island Oil Terminal mission: did you know that there is a secret event that the player can trigger? Once you reach the oil terminal there are RPGs all over the place. If you do not engage the one in the oil tanker, a teammate will advise the player of its presence. If you do not take him out, a Black Hawk gets shot down and you must rescue its crew before moving the the other objectives. So in both Team Sabre's campaigns there is a BHD event. The concept of this mission is not bat at all, if a player does or does not do something, than an event is triggered and the whole mission changes. It gives for once a non linear "not-on-the-rails" feeling to the game, although these are scripted events.

Besieged: It is funny the fact this mission is set the 5th of May, but meant to be played as a Ranger after Gasoline Alley, which happens the 27th of August. Of course I modded and corrected this as well, as I wrote in my previous post.

Gasoline Alley: You strike the warehouse of one Osman Otto, but historically his surname is Atto, actually. I edited the .bin and .pcx files to reflect this. Now there is only a decoration item that needs such change too, but there's something more interesting and important to do with the game.

Go To Top