Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Portal Portal   Search the forums Search   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   View member list Member List   Staff Staff List   View Topic Activity Topic Activity   Forum Stats Stats   Board Rules Board Rules   Downloads Downloads
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The old DFB Map Database..
Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

Mood: Grey, not stupid!

[*] posted on 10-9-12 at 12:13
The old DFB Map Database..

Guys, I do have all the old maps from DFB here on my drive, all of them.

Unfortunately, they are all just numbers. I also have all the screen shots for them.

Now, DFB is actually running, just not working properly :(

I have put up some old maps today, but, if you go directly to old link http://www.dfbarracks.com/mapdb/index.php you can find the map you need..

You can't however download it, if you supply me with the map number, I will post it up for you here at DFR.

I will try to put more up as time goes by.

I the mean time, I have uploaded maps by Joselz's and Dave Snow..

http://www.dfreload.com/forum/files.php?action=file&id=1542

http://www.dfreload.com/forum/files.php?action=file&id=1543

http://www.dfreload.com/forum/files.php?action=file&id=1544

http://www.dfreload.com/forum/files.php?action=file&id=1545

Cheers
EE

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
BulletMagnet
Private

Mood: Programming Happily

[*] posted on 10-9-12 at 14:09

Hey EE,

I mentioned this a few times before, but it was probably during your... eh... sabbatical? :C

I'd be more than happy to try and help ya out with this. Specifically, I believe I could write a small utility in C# that could partially re-sort and organize the huge mess of #'s. They could be sorted by game, title, author, map type, etc. (and even the terrain if you feel the need for that garden-variety useless option that comes with every program).

I drew up a quick sample to give you an idea... Perhaps over U2U's or IM's we could get the specifics down.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7903/samplem.png

I'm thinking the maps could be renamed by title, author, or title & author, then sorted into folders and sub-folders based on game --> game type --> so forth.

Just think about it, EE. Together, we could achieve DFReload stardom and possibly world domination if we play our cards right.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
BulletMagnet
Private

[*] posted on 10-9-12 at 17:50

Well, I've gone ahead and started working on the tool anyway. I've got it to successfully sort and rename a folder full of random maps from DF1-DFX2. I've ran into a tiny setback, though...

I'm using the 4th byte in the file as the "identifier" value to determine which game it's from. DF1 has its own value, but the rest share them, i.e. DF2/DFLW/DFTFD all have the same one, DFBHD/TS share one, and JOTR-DFX2 share one. At worst, the sorted maps might be grouped like above ^.

I'm sure there are other unique values for each .bms type, though. I'll read up and dig through the Delta Force archives lying around the interwebz. Heck, I might call up Nova and see what's up.
Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

[*] posted on 10-9-12 at 19:25

ok, so what I have is a folder full of jpg's for the map pics, and a folder full of zips. All are just numbers, like 22456.zip, and 22456.jpg. I also have a mysql file from the database that contains all the info for those files, including the map number, name, game as in df1, Dfx etc, also whether its sp, coop, tdm etc..

So, if you can write something that can pull the info from the mysql file, then rename the other files, maybe even write a text file for each map, then we in business.

If you think this is possible, then when I get home from work, I can send you the MySQL file and some of the zips and jpgs to work on :)

Cheers
EE

Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

[*] posted on 10-9-12 at 19:50

Maybe, if you know php, we, or you lol, might be able to at least write some new code to make a read only DFB Map database ;)

Or, if you can convert the old forums to a newer bb of your choice?

EE

BulletMagnet
Private

[*] posted on 11-9-12 at 01:03

Ahhh, so we've got even more help than I hoped for! I was simply planning to rename them based on the title/author in the .bms. If that SQL database contains indexes to the file names (i.e. the random #'s in the zip) and has all that info listed above, we could definitely reorganize them pretty efficiently.

Unfortunately, I'm not a PHP guy. What little web work I've done is in ASP.NET, so I'd have to do a complete overhaul. I'd be willing to work with someone else and try to learn it enough to fumble through a recovery of the database, though.

Anyway, my email is auntbobbysue@hotmail.com if you want to send over those files. I'd be happy to take a look at them.
Luis-S
Private

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-9-12 at 01:13

If you guys need help in anything, i can help.
I don't understand about php, html and so but any other thing else i can help, i'm here.

Luis.

:: http://www.novahq.net/img/forum/buttons/nl.gif :: http://www.novahq.net/img/forum/buttons/map.gif ::
Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

[*] posted on 11-9-12 at 03:11

Cool BM, I still have 4 hours before my 12 hour shift is up, when I get home, I will zip all the maps, pics, and the SQL up and upload. I'll send you the download link via email or pm. I can probably give you more detail about the SQL if I log into the server cp and look at the MySQL Admin panel.

Thanks for your help :)

EE

Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

[*] posted on 11-9-12 at 03:14

Luiz, thanks for the offer, may find a job for you yet :)

EE

BulletMagnet
Private

[*] posted on 11-9-12 at 04:53

Sounds good, EE.

And Luis, we might bring you on as our human resources management team leader. It doesn't pay much but looks great on a resume.
Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

[*] posted on 11-9-12 at 08:03

Hey, BM, I have the file prepared, all of the maps, jpg's, SQL, and some other info you will need, it's 706 megs lol..

Uploading now, but it will take 4 and a half hours, I have a crappy upload speed even though I have about 20 megabit download..

I figure if you have all the maps, then I have you as a backup in case :)

Will PM you a link, but, don't download for at least 5 hours, or you will have an incomplete zip file..see time stamp on this post for when I posted it..add 5 hours.

Oh, the SQL is for the whole site, you'll have to find the entries for the mapdb, big file, contains all the posts as well..

search for this string...

/*!40000 ALTER TABLE `mapdb_maps` DISABLE KEYS */

Pretty sure the following text after that is the info you need..

The phpmyadmin screen shot.jpg is a screen shot from my CP, will help you see what is what, and the Game Version number from the php code.txt file will tell you the game_version in the column of the same name...

Cheers I'm off to bed shortly..
EE

Polle-AnA
Private

Mood: sentimental

[*] posted on 11-9-12 at 09:04

Oh my.....:S

My heart stopped for a brief sec. There they are. Truly a breathtaking trip down memory lane. Its like rediscovering the Holy Grail :)
All the old Delta force maps complete with comments and ratings..... Oh my....(again) ;)
Luis-S
Private

[*] posted on 11-9-12 at 11:12

Yes !!
good job EE.

:: http://www.novahq.net/img/forum/buttons/nl.gif :: http://www.novahq.net/img/forum/buttons/map.gif ::
BulletMagnet
Private

[*] posted on 11-9-12 at 23:33

Thanks for those files. I'll get to work on them today and see what I can come up with.
AssassinXaero
Corporal

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-9-12 at 06:47

I could help out a little if you go with ASP.NET (do it for a living now). I've barely done anything with PHP, and that was mostly all in Drupal. Know SQL and all that fun stuff, too.
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
AssassinXaero
Corporal

[*] posted on 12-9-12 at 10:43

Well, on the bright side, we got data: :D

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/alex122790/Misc/DFBmaps.png
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
BulletMagnet
Private

[*] posted on 12-9-12 at 12:42

Indeed. With Assassin's help, this thing has really taken off.

EE, now that we have the data, do you have any ideas on how we should proceed? Are you thinking simply sort it into folders & sub-folders and then make a group effort to just re-up all the maps to DFReload? Or perhaps create a new map database that can upload them all in one go (perhaps as an archive or it could even accept new submissions and be housed on DFReload). I believe we'd have to go the ASP.net route here, as I suspect Assassin and I will be the only ones around to work on it.

Anyway, some of those ideas might be me getting ahead of myself, but I'm just wondering what direction we're heading in before I proceed.
Luis-S
Private

[*] posted on 12-9-12 at 13:38

If you guys make an maps database like DFB here on DFR ..
OMG, i can't imagine.

Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

[*] posted on 13-9-12 at 07:32

WOW, thanks guys. :)

I've been sitting on this for ages, and, with the prompting of Luis, decided I needed to get my ass into gear LOL..

I've always had a backup of DFB on my drive, I put the site up, but it's code is too old to use.

So, if there is anyone else out there who may be able to import the data from the old XMB1.6 forum to a new more stable forum, your welcome to put your hand up :)

Now, to the task at hand, thanks AX and BM, I know you have offered to help before, and I offer my apologies for not taking you up on your offers then. I can make all kinds of excuses, but, I'm not going too, I'll take the bullet so to speak.

Haven't really thought about what to do with the files yet, main think is you 2 have the knowledge we need to make them usable again :)

Was thinking if you can write a script to do the following? maybe? All ideas taken into consideration :) All comments welcome.. :)

1. Create a folder for each game type, DFX, JO, JOE etc..

2. Rename the map to say a number plus the name of the map (just in case we have two maps of the same name..)

3. Put each map into a folder named after the map. Move this folder into the Game Type folder.

4. Create a text file for each map, in it's folder that contains the details from the DFB Data base, like the creator, type, rating, description, comments etc..

So, we end up with a folder for each Game, DFX, DF2 etc, in that folder, we have a folder for each map, named after that map, in that folder we have the renamed zip, a screen shot and a text file...

Is this possible?

I ask, cos one of ABullets extractors for the pff file does similar things to this :)

Many thanks for your help, every one :)

Regards
Craig
EE

Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

[*] posted on 13-9-12 at 07:45

Now, about DFB.. Major Headache has the domain dns pointed to our host, so, I have the files in a folder here at DFReload, and if you punch up DFBarracks, the web goes the that folder.

So, creating a new DFBarracks site can be an option, if we can team effort..

I have no problem sharing the code with anyone I know has a history with DFB :)

After all, DFB belongs to all of us, I'm just the custodian..

EE

RedneckRetart
Private

[*] posted on 13-9-12 at 08:50

I'm happy to see you guys putting work into this. I'm excited to see where this all goes.

I wish you all the best and keeps us informed :)
Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

[*] posted on 13-9-12 at 10:45

Hey Red, hows it going :) If I can prompt you into making your second post in 5 years, then it's worth it..

You still playing any Nova stuff?

Been a long time since we at DFB hey?

Glad to see you still around.

EE

AssassinXaero
Corporal

[*] posted on 13-9-12 at 10:47

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle_Eye
Now, to the task at hand, thanks AX and BM, I know you have offered to help before, and I offer my apologies for not taking you up on your offers then. I can make all kinds of excuses, but, I'm not going too, I'll take the bullet so to speak.

Don't worry about it, especially since I doubt I could have pulled it off back then anyway. ;)

As for the folder structure... well... in programming, pretty much anything is possible. Something like that doesn't look too complicated. BulletMagnet, think you said you wanted to do that, so I can help out if you need it.

For forums... I got nothing on that. I did want to write my own from scratch, which I began just a tiny bit of work on (like 5-10 minutes). Even if I really started working a lot on it, it probably won't be "stable" for months. I have a few things I need to take care of first, too, which means a bit less free time. So, maybe someone else knows an alternative?

RedneckRetart... man, that guy is still around? Is it too late for me to quit? :P
Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

[*] posted on 13-9-12 at 10:52

I'm still very much a novice AX, lucky I can pretty well figure most stuff out if I have too..

Work is killing me, lol, 12 hour shifts, all nights, until.. who knows.. 10 on, 5 off, and I live out bush in a mining town now... good cash though :)

My partner, that's her in my avatar is here with me, we have 6 kids between us, so, spare time is a luxury.. I should be asleep now, I start work in 7 1/2 hours.. bugger..

Thanks for all your work over the years too, you too BM, you've never given up either..

Cheers

RedneckRetart
Private

[*] posted on 13-9-12 at 11:02

I try to keep at least a bi-decade appearance. ;) I do stop by now and then, read stuff and go on my way.

I do play nova stuff once in a while. There's something about them nova games that keep me around.

Otherwise I'm doing alright. Doing the normal life stuff, work, pay bills and repeat.

On a side note about forums I use MyBB for one of my websites and Ive learned to like it quiet a bit. There is an xmb to mybb converter that I used on my forums when i transitioned, It took a little bit of work to get it to convert but it worked. However I don't know if it would work on such an old version of xmb.

Also it's too late for you to quit Xaero, you've been spotted.
AssassinXaero
Corporal

[*] posted on 13-9-12 at 11:04

dang... well, speaking of rednecks, if you're ever in the neighborhood, I have an AK-47 now that we can play with. :D
RedneckRetart
Private

[*] posted on 13-9-12 at 11:21

Tempting offer, I may have to drop by lol.

Also best of luck with work EE.. I should have went to bed about 2 hours ago for my job lol.

But anyway I'll stop talking about life stuff so this thread stays semi on topic :)
BulletMagnet
Private

[*] posted on 13-9-12 at 14:16

Here are my thoughts... I see two possible options:

1.) Continue on with the sorting utility and add functionality as you described above, i.e. a hierarchy of folders to sort the maps and then simply upload them all to DFReload. We already have a fully functioning site here, so this might be the simplest route. I might suggest some modifications to the map database, though. Namely, make it less like a downloads page and more like the DFB version, e.g. display SS thumbs on the main page.

2-a.) Construct an entirely new map database which would bypass the sorting utility and probably upload all the maps in one go. This would be the longest route and would most probably be an ASP.net project by myself and/or Assassin. My skillset is not at this level yet, so I'd pretty much be learning on the job at a slow pace. Not sure how much free time AX has, lol.

2-b.) Restore the DFBarracks map database to full functionality. Since we are seemingly lacking a PHP enthusiast around here to assist in this rebuild, I see this as the least viable option. There is hope, however, since the map database sorta works right now. I'm not a web developer yet (still in training, hehe), but it seems that a bit of formatting and re-upping the files to make the download links functional would do the trick.
BulletMagnet
Private

[*] posted on 14-9-12 at 02:10

Well, the sorting utility has been a breeze thus far. It takes a bit to run, so I haven't ran it on the entire map folder yet.

There are a few bugs and issues to work out, such as how to sort a map with multiple game types, handling exceptions for database entries that don't have a matching .zip file, and making the generated text file all nice and pretty.
AssassinXaero
Corporal

[*] posted on 14-9-12 at 03:13

I don't see why they would need to be moved into game type folders, especially since a lot would be multiple? EE's idea was basically:
Game Folder -> Map Folder -> [Zip, Screenshot, Text document]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top