Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Portal Portal   Search the forums Search   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   View member list Member List   Staff Staff List   View Topic Activity Topic Activity   Forum Stats Stats   Board Rules Board Rules   Downloads Downloads
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Map Server Display Name Problem
AKMARK5000
Corporal

[*] posted on 9-7-09 at 00:23
Map Server Display Name Problem

Iím having some trouble with a cooperative map that Iíve made. The map shows up on my map rotation list when I host a cooperative mission in the DFX-SO game. However, I sent it to the clan I belong toÖ the map does not show up in their serverís map rotation listÖ four files sent:

1. COP- DFX-SO Smoked Bag.bms
2. COP- DFX-SO Smoked Bag.ifl
3. COP- DFX-SO Smoked Bag.txt (the log file)
4. COP- DFX-SO Smoked Bag.wac

I was advised to cut down on the number of people, so, I did, but I canít see how that would be an actual factor.

Mission Editor: DFX Med 2.60 for DFXSO Mod By Eagle Eye
File Name: COP- DFX-SO Smoked Bag
Mission Name: Smoked The Whole Bag

I must have done something else, but I am not an experienced enough to know other possible causes. I ask for your help to find out what I did so I do not do it again.

Attachment: COP- DFX-SO Smoked Bag.rar (18.22kb)
This file has been downloaded 161 times

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z13/shifty421/Sigs/Mark-5-Sig-22.gif
Ozferal
WTF ADmin

Mood: STILL hunting Kev!

[*] posted on 9-7-09 at 07:33

Try checking the naming convention .... 15 character max and that includes dots and underscores, also the name should be something like COP_Smoked_Bag. In other words, no spaces ... use the underscore

http://www.dfreload.com/eagle/sigs/ozsig.gif

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
JET
Gomer !!!

Mood: Need a Beer

[*] posted on 9-7-09 at 07:55

.ifl and .txt are not needed for the map, just .bms, .til, .wac, and .bin. Some of the .bin info will not be transfered, so use stock such as kill the leader if thats the goal and mod those to your taste if you like.

Oz is correct 25 total characters is wayyyyy too long and the spaces will bugger it up. try CP_SO_Smked.bms(15 characters) with the name of the map in the general information to CP Smoked Bag.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f257/JET-WTF/jettag2.jpg
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. --George Carlin
Tac
Private

Mood: Sleep Walking

[*] posted on 9-7-09 at 08:54

If you named your map in the .bin file I believe that will over ride what you named it on the General Information window in the MED. Therefore if the names are different and the host fails to put the .bin file in the game folder the name of the map will revert to what you named it on the General Information window in the MED.
Not sure if this is what happened but maybe.
Tac
AKMARK5000
Corporal

[*] posted on 9-7-09 at 09:26

Thanks all... I renamed the file name and mission name following the advice. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z13/shifty421/Sigs/Mark-5-Sig-22.gif
jabo1SFH
Corporal

[*] posted on 9-7-09 at 14:14

a good tip for naming convenetions:

keep map file name short. only use the prefix of CP- when necessary(i try to only use the prefix in a map series, for example).

when mappers are making maps for dedicated servers or making them available for download, make sure there are NO spaces in the map file name, especially if you use a 3rd party remote host program(ie. wolfrat).

example map file name for dedi's:

letsrock.bms/npz/npj

also make sure all relevant corresponding files have the exact file name for each extention(letsrock.til, letsrock.wac, letsrock.bin).

:P

http://www.soldiersfromhell.net/sfh%20images/gogeta.gif
JET
Gomer !!!

Mood: Need a Beer

[*] posted on 9-7-09 at 16:15

Quote:
Originally posted by Tac
If you named your map in the .bin file I believe that will over ride what you named it on the General Information window in the MED. Therefore if the names are different and the host fails to put the .bin file in the game folder the name of the map will revert to what you named it on the General Information window in the MED.
Tac

Correct, thats why you name it exactly the same in both the med and the bin and the actual map file is a truncated version of that name. nothing like searching for a map in the folder to delete called Killer Forest and its actualy numnutz.bms rather than KForest.bms

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f257/JET-WTF/jettag2.jpg
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. --George Carlin
jabo1SFH
Corporal

[*] posted on 10-7-09 at 18:44

Quote:
Originally posted by JET
Quote:
Originally posted by Tac
Tac

Correct, thats why you name it exactly the same in both the med and the bin and the actual map file is a truncated version of that name. nothing like searching for a map in the folder to delete called Killer Forest and its actualy numnutz.bms rather than KForest.bms

AMEN!!! i always tell people to name their map files the same as the name they put in med, or a shortened version.

:P

http://www.soldiersfromhell.net/sfh%20images/gogeta.gif

Go To Top