Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Portal Portal   Search the forums Search   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   View member list Member List   Staff Staff List   View Topic Activity Topic Activity   Forum Stats Stats   Board Rules Board Rules   Downloads Downloads
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: cin files
tony991
Corporal

[*] posted on 2-3-09 at 06:16
cin files

I’m experimenting with cin files and I cant figure out how to change the camera angles, speeds and directions. Its kind of complicated. I also want to know how to create the “video” at the end of the mission. I think it’s a “end” file right? But I’ve looked it up in the forums and I’m still confused, so if any one can explain how all this works it would be a great help…Thanks

Bluetiereign
Private

[*] posted on 2-3-09 at 07:19

Well, it just so happens... I have kept a link to a thread EE wrote about this in about 5 years ago in my bookmarks.

--->Here you go !<---
tony991
Corporal

[*] posted on 2-3-09 at 08:17

Ok, If found this… What I’ve been trying to figure out for a long, long time was what do all these numbers exactly mean?

This is what Eagle_Eye has for an example…

BEGIN MOVECAMERA
TICKS_START 0
TICKS_DURATION 180
CINDEX CAMERA1
CBEGIN -437.337 361.385 62.0 100 345 000
CEND -437.337 361.385 62.0 100 345 000
FOV 4259840
END

BEGIN EDITFADE
TICKS_START 170
TICKS_DURATION 20
CINDEX_BEGIN CAMERA1
CINDEX_END CAMERA2
END

Now, this is what I don’t get…What do these numbers mean? I’m only guessing on what these mean…correct me if I’m wrong…

BEGIN MOVECAMERA……………………..…..Starts camera
TICKS_START 0.…………………………….......Starts as soon as mission begins.
TICKS_DURATION 180.…………………………How long the “camera” is “shooting” for in sec. I think.
CINDEX CAMERA1.……………………………..No Clue what this means
CBEGIN -437.337 361.385 62.0 100 345 000...… -437.337 361.385 is where the camera starts…62.0 is the height…100 is the degrees in which the camera is pointing…idk what 345 is but it has this number for all the examples…and idk what 000 is but that is also in all the examples.

CEND -437.337 361.385 62.0 100 345 000.…..it would go until it hits grid -437.337 361.385...at a height of 62.0...at 62 degrees…and again idk what 345 is and 000 is
FOV 4259840.…….I’m assuming that this is the field of view of the camera. Don’t know what degree 4259840 is.
END………………………………..........................End Camera

BEGIN EDITFADE…………………….I’m guessing this is the fading effect
TICKS_START 170 ……………………I’m guessing that in this example that the shot will fade into each other by 10 sec.
TICKS_DURATION 20.……………….How long the shot lasts
CINDEX_BEGIN CAMERA1.………..No clue what this means
CINDEX_END CAMERA2.…………..No clue what this means
END………………………………..........End Camera

Again, correct me if I’m wrong…
Also, tell me what the “unknowns” are…

Can some one please clarify what I have here….
It will be greatly appreciated…

TedSmelly
DFR Mod Team

Mood: Alive and loving it

[*] posted on 2-3-09 at 08:57

You don't need to know more then is written to have your cin or end file work. Just change your camera start and finish position, change your camera elasped time and fade out, change your camera angle, change your height above ground. Just play with all the figures given and with trial and error you will make the cin and end file look the way you want.

I understand it's nice to know all about the script you are working with but sometimes you just have to except the fact that not too many people know what the other figures mean.

I'm sure someone will fill that knowledge void for all of us.
Bluetiereign
Private

[*] posted on 2-3-09 at 13:37

Ted is right bro'. Much like the MED in Nova's games, it is best to just jump in there and experiment with those numbers. When I read that in 2004, I actually took the time to make two of them... one for C4 and one for BHD. It took a whole Saturday to do it, but I learned. What I did all that time ago, I've pretty much forgotten - and like you - I would be right back to the beginning 'experimenting' again.

CINDEX_BEGIN and CINDEX_END - if I remember - is much like a baton in a relay. You pass the picture from one camera to the next... fading out on one and in on the other. Those last three 000's - just might be the 'roll' on the camera... I can't recall. You don't often see a camera looking at something cockeyed - so I suppose you would find those numbers at 000 more often than not. Use EE's picture of the angles to get the other angles..

BTW... I don't think a tick is one second. I think you divide the ticks by 60 to get your seconds.... or conversely.... multiply the seconds by 60 to get the number of ticks you need.

Most of this from a tired old memory - and all of it could be wrong.

But I think I'm right - at least on some of it...lol ;)
Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

Mood: Grey, not stupid!

[*] posted on 4-3-09 at 21:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluetiereign
Well, it just so happens... I have kept a link to a thread EE wrote about this in about 5 years ago in my bookmarks.

--->Here you go !<---

I'm very proud of that thread, and it's great to know that you have it as a favorite Blue..

One day soon, I'll convert that thread to a tutorial.

:A

EE

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
tony991
Corporal

[*] posted on 25-12-10 at 04:54

I know this is a older thread but i want to update it..
I was experimenting with a .cin file and I found out that...

The 345 is up and down camera roll.
The 000 is left and right camera roll.

tony991
Corporal

[*] posted on 25-12-10 at 06:50

Does anyone know how to fade from camera to camera?

Josh26Indy
Corporal

[*] posted on 26-12-10 at 00:14

Kinda off topic, but kinda not.... I use Fraps to make all my videos.... If I uses this .cin file method you all are talking about , would my videos look better...... If so where can i find this thread....
I clicked the link above but it keeps taking me to
"Error 404 File not found"

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu228/Josh26Indy/concept1-1.jpg
tony991
Corporal

[*] posted on 26-12-10 at 03:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh26Indy
Kinda off topic, but kinda not.... I use Fraps to make all my videos.... If I uses this .cin file method you all are talking about , would my videos look better...... If so where can i find this thread....
I clicked the link above but it keeps taking me to
"Error 404 File not found"

Because the link takes you to dfbarracks, which has been down for months now.

Josh26Indy
Corporal

[*] posted on 26-12-10 at 10:30

OK.... but my question still remains. Would my vids look better using cin file method & if so where can i find the thread? Is it here somewhere also?

tony991
Corporal

[*] posted on 28-12-10 at 22:57

I don't know what fraps is. But the .cin file is pretty easy to use. The .cin file is the short video in the begining of the mission. You use notepad. You can even copy the sample cin file I have on my older post in this thread. What I do to get the X,Y,Z coordinates for the start and end is put a "null" marker where i want the camera to start and one where i want the camera to end. Then you have to figure out the angle you want the camera at. Then you set the "tick duration". This will tell it how fast you want the camera to move and the duration of the shot. The .end file works the same way as the .cin file.

Bluetiereign
Private

[*] posted on 30-12-10 at 09:16

Josh. If I remember correctly, we are talking about 2 different animals here. Making a .cin file is basically like making an intro film. Everything you see is filmed and happens BEFORE you go into the game.... or after, if that is where you want the .cin file played. You are not actually in the game filming your action like a FRAPS movie.
Josh26Indy
Corporal

[*] posted on 30-12-10 at 16:37

Ahh i see...lol So the .cin file is acting like a camera man kinda.... Just not recording anything, just displaying it on the screen.

Normally when i create a map just for video I get it all scripted up, then I go in in spectator mode with FRAPS recording get into position then have a player enter the map to start the .wac code. Then record the action.
Will a .cin file be running the same time the .wac is running? Will it be showing AI moving around n such or does the .wac kick in after the .cin is done?

How do these cin files work anyway? I mean, I know ya can make it in notepad and all... but is there like an entry in the .bin file or anything? Or do i just name it the same name as the actual map but with a .cin extension?

Does any one know of a map with one in it right off hand.... I don't believe Ive ever actually seen one work.

ShadowZ
Administrator

Mood: Not enough hours in a day

[*] posted on 31-12-10 at 07:55

If you've ever played Commanche 4, most of the maps use .cin and .end files for intro. and conc. cinematics.

Theoretically, the .WAC and Event code is working while the .cin and .end are running. This should allow you to have the AI moving about on the battlefield while the camera is in action.

For the Events there is a checkbox in the MED that says "Pre-Mission Event." I believe that these events apply to the .cin intro cinematics... I am unsure about the WAC though.

.cin and .end are setup just like a WAC, with the same file name as the map's .bms. I do not know if they work with NILE files.

EE made a thread that goes into detail on the .cin files... unfortunately it's locked away in 404 land until the barracks gets back up and running.

------------------------------

Josh, if you can master the .cin file, you will be able to get one hellova promotional Frap for any map you make... simply because you have far more control over the camera than you would if you did it like you've been doing so far.

Time is not my enemy, although we do have many disagreements...

http://www.dfreload.com/shadowz/SGMod/SGSig.jpg http://www.dfreload.com/shadowz/MarkSigR.gif
tony991
Corporal

[*] posted on 31-12-10 at 09:51

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowZ
Theoretically, the .WAC and Event code is working while the .cin and .end are running. This should allow you to have the AI moving about on the battlefield while the camera is in action.

For the Events there is a checkbox in the MED that says "Pre-Mission Event." I believe that these events apply to the .cin intro cinematics... I am unsure about the WAC though.

WAC runs while the .cin is playing. I think the premission checkbox you were talking about means that event will be trigger before the game starts. before zero i guess you can say.
The game starts as soon as the .cin begines. 8 seconds of .cin playing is 8 seconds of game. so if you wanted something to happen right after an 8 second .cin shot you'd have to delay the event 8 seconds.

Josh26Indy
Corporal

[*] posted on 31-12-10 at 10:04

That's what i was hoping to hear !!! I knew the joint ops video at the beginning just couldn't have been done in spectator mode...lol

It looks way to good...lol

Is there anyway I can just convert the Movie Map files ive already made that is if the .cin don't work with nile files. there all .npj format. Id love the opportunity to re-shoot the vids Ive already made.

tony991
Corporal

[*] posted on 2-1-11 at 07:48

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh26Indy
That's what i was hoping to hear !!! I knew the joint ops video at the beginning just couldn't have been done in spectator mode...lol

It looks way to good...lol

Is there anyway I can just convert the Movie Map files ive already made that is if the .cin don't work with nile files. there all .npj format. Id love the opportunity to re-shoot the vids Ive already made.

Are you talking about bhd? I don't know anything about nile...

And BTW my question still remains for anyone that might know, Does anyone know how to fade from camera 1 to camera 2?
Thanks...

Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

Mood: Grey, not stupid!

[*] posted on 2-1-11 at 08:20

Just so happens I saved the thread about cin files to my hard drive years ago..

I just put it up here for now so you can take a look at it.

http://www.deltaforcegaming.com/Delta%20Force%20Barracks%20cin%20stuff.htm

Cheers
EE

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
tony991
Corporal

[*] posted on 2-1-11 at 12:49

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle_Eye
Just so happens I saved the thread about cin files to my hard drive years ago..

I just put it up here for now so you can take a look at it.

http://www.deltaforcegaming.com/Delta%20Force%20Barracks%20cin%20stuff.htm

Cheers
EE

That's a great post! I basically did what you had there with the edit fade and the begin move camera starting 10 ticks before the camera 1 shot was finished playing. But the fade doesn't really fade, it turns into more of a blur and for some reason it pauses for a slight second before it starts to fade/blur to camera 2.

I don't know if you'll have time to look at this, but here's my .cin file for my map. Can you tell/show me what I'm doing wrong with the fading?

BACKUP_DIR "D:\nc\df5bin\"
PRIMARYCAMERA_INDEX CAMERA1

BEGIN MOVECAMERA
TICKS_START 0
TICKS_DURATION 600
CINDEX CAMERA1
CBEGIN -27 11 50 30 345 000
CEND 229 10 50 60 345 000
FOV 4259840
END

BEGIN EDITFADE
TICKS_START 570
TICKS_DURATION 40
CINDEX_BEGIN CAMERA1
CINDEX_END CAMERA2
END

BEGIN MOVECAMERA
TICKS_START 580
TICKS_DURATION 450
CINDEX CAMERA2
CBEGIN 198 -179 42 -20 345 000
CEND 388 -260 24 -50 345 000
FOV 4259840
END

tony991
Corporal

[*] posted on 19-5-11 at 06:49

Just thought I should add that the height rating is from absolute Z rating.

ShadowZ
Administrator

Mood: Not enough hours in a day

[*] posted on 20-5-11 at 13:59

Thanks for keeping this updated. :A

Go To Top