Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Portal Portal   Search the forums Search   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   View member list Member List   Staff Staff List   View Topic Activity Topic Activity   Forum Stats Stats   Board Rules Board Rules   Downloads Downloads
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Questions about the Boolean Tutorial
Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

Mood: Grey, not stupid!

[*] posted on 26-1-09 at 08:31
Questions about the Boolean Tutorial

If you have any questions or comments about the Max 8 Boolean Cut Building tutorial, you can place the in this thread rather than commenting on the actual tutorial, it's long enough as it is :)

Cheers
EE

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
subhuman
Sig Designer

Mood: lalalalala sry u say something?

[*] posted on 2-5-09 at 03:06

nice tut EE thanks for putting it together :)

anyways i have a quick question. My texture file wont render in super OED but it will in MAX. I'm not sure whats up so any assistance would be nice. Oh the texture is a targa like its supposed to be.

Thanks in advance

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb282/sub_sonic_sig/subbysiggy.jpg
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
BuLL
Terrain Maker

Mood: Mod`tastic

[*] posted on 2-5-09 at 03:20

Did you specify your texture folder in the eod?...You`ve gotta let the oed know where your texture is situated.
In oed go edit/preferences,then assign your texture folder,it`s the top option of the three.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/BuLLcop/BULL.gif
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/BuLLcop/DOC_BAR.png
subhuman
Sig Designer

[*] posted on 2-5-09 at 03:58

did that bull

then i went into he material editor and my texture is the one selected there but it won't show in the renders it gives me the 'checkers'

View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
BuLL
Terrain Maker

[*] posted on 2-5-09 at 05:44

You get the checkers if oed can`t find yer texture m8.
I have a folder on my desktop named TGA.....I use it for all my textures,saves keep updating it in oed.
Try it ,see if that works.Ya never know.
Also.does your texture show in the material editor of the oed at all?
subhuman
Sig Designer

[*] posted on 2-5-09 at 06:02

ok i threw it into a different file and changed the settings. it shows up in the material section but it doesnt put it on the model

BuLL
Terrain Maker

[*] posted on 2-5-09 at 06:17

Hmm...Strange....Can`t really think of anything else without looking at the model...
I`ll look at it if u wanna mail it to me....Other than that I don`t know
check your u2u`s

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/BuLLcop/BULL.gif
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/BuLLcop/DOC_BAR.png
Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

[*] posted on 12-5-09 at 18:37

You ticked all the boxes when you exported?

http://www.dfreload.com/forum/downloads/boolean/Image64.jpg

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
BuLL
Terrain Maker

[*] posted on 12-5-09 at 21:38

Just for info....
I got it working by renaming his texture to something much shorter,without spaces.Also it wasn`t a power of 2 image.
Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

[*] posted on 14-11-09 at 03:11

I had a problem with this today as well. Would do other models OK, but not the one I was working on, but, it worked yesterday.

In the end, after hours of frustration, I put the texture into Photoshop and resaved it.

It worked. So, somehow, the tga had become corrupted, and even though Max would read it, the SOED refused to.

EE

BuLL
Terrain Maker

[*] posted on 14-11-09 at 05:50

The SOED is tetchy at the best of times.
DareHacker
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 14-11-09 at 16:19

It's the SOED, its quite picky when it deals with tga (beside long file names and stuff).
For example, a dds-tga converter I used for a long time was putting the origin of the picture data in the upper-left corner (TGA internal flag). In SOED it showed up mirrored. The same tga was displayed fine in PS. Resaving in PS put the origin to lower left corner, and SOED was happy, too ...
doc-notap
Private

[*] posted on 12-1-10 at 02:29

Hello,

im working today the first time with Autocat and i build the Buildung from the tut

the tut from EE is great but i have at last 1 Problem.

I build a Testmap with the Building from EE from the Download and with the Building that are created from me.
By the test in the Game i can walk thru the walls but the Bullets crasht on the wall?

thx for the help

Edit: i have found my error -> the Name of the CB are different to the Model -> after rename -> export as ase -> export as 3di all work fine
Eagle_Eye
Owner/Admin

[*] posted on 12-1-10 at 17:05

The CB's should be named CB01, all of them, unless the item has a door, then the CB ill be labeled after that, ie, if the door is an 02 object, then the CB will be CB02.

EE

JET
Gomer !!!

Mood: Need a Beer

[*] posted on 15-1-10 at 16:17

Hey EE, ever have fun with cloning a large group of CB for another wall and have to rename them all again?

Heres my tip if you use Max 9 dont do the boolean, use Pro-Boolean. it makes for a much cleaner model or building and that will show in the wireframe mode in the med. Also all those extra lines make the model look more complicated in Max and more complicated makes it that much harder to keep track of whats what.

I have a few differences in how i make my buildings but the same basic technique. i usualy make the floor and roof seperate, this way i can have a short wall on the roof, also its better for making a multi floor building. i do the same as you did but not make the window and door holes out first. Once the 4 walls are made i make another box that fits in it and maybe .10 or .15 in height. this boxes sides will be embedded in the walls. i use it for floors. i make a generic square box at the floor to ceiling height and place it on top of the floor box. clone both the floor and space box and move them up to where the cloned floor box meets the top line of the space box. then i clone the cloned floor box and move up and align like i did its original.

next delete the space boxes, and move the top vertice on the walls to be above the top floor box. 1 meter high is good for kneeling and 1.5 meters higher is good for standing as for cover and firing is concerned.

Now theres multiple floors but how about inside walls? well I repeat the process i did to make the outside wall but have the top and bottom and the sides embedded in the top and botom floors and walls. I then make other boxes to where they will make the inside walls. boolean them and now the basic shell is done with several floors and interior exterior walls.

Now I do the doors and windows. For the window i make a 1 meter square box for a spacer then the 1.5 m box, this way when i clone and move to the next floor i can easily line it up.

Heres an example of using that method: http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f257/JET-WTF/build5.jpg and ignore the decorative elements.

Oh for a ladder hole between floors its the same as a window, for stairs 1.5m wide and make sure the edge on the stair side has atleast 2.4 meters from the roof to the step in height, otherwise you could glitch through and see into the room above or get stuck. I myself just make it the same as the stair itself just to be sure. and stair CB should be 1 box, the top should be in the middle of each step and the bottow following below so you cant glitch through and its a smooth walk up them.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f257/JET-WTF/jettag2.jpg
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. --George Carlin
JET
Gomer !!!

Mood: Need a Beer

[*] posted on 15-1-10 at 16:27

Oh something i forgot to mention, if you plan on having the floors a seperate skin than the exterior you just embed one of the floors just above the bottom one and delete the faces that are not visible. in the example pic i did there is a lime green box thats wider than the walls for the bottom floor, if you make it stone and all the floors above are wood then it will look odd.

Speaking of deleting faces, remember to go back through the model and delete any that are not visible. saves time skinning, and saves poly for the game.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f257/JET-WTF/jettag2.jpg
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. --George Carlin

Go To Top