Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to mod the quick mission selection screen so that any custom missions can have proper names, so instead of
'file.bms' a mission will be...
Country, Time, Weather'
You know what I mean?
I'd also like to be able to put in an image for each mission, and fill out the real briefing text (more than 256 characters).
I've tried playing around with DF2BRIEF.bin, but anything I add won't actually show - not even with the already existing custom missions.
Has anyone else had success with this, or if not... would anyone else be willing to look into this for me?
Much thanks! :3
I had a go at it m8 with no luck. I tried a .pcx file but it didnít work.
Did you convert the .bin file to text change it and convert back to .bin
If you didnít convert to text before you altered it that would probably cause it lose existing custom missions and even if you did who knows with that old game.
My advice would be to upgrade to DFX or JOE where you can get better control over that and many other map features.
Sorry I didnít help maybe some of the others will have better luck.
You might find what you're looking for in the (DF2) "SINGLE/COOP PLAYER MISSION BRIEFS AND PICS" tutorial, made by the late Dr.Evil~TAG...: http://mapmakersheaven.org/old/index.php?page=tut6
That looks almost exactly what I want... but the bin editor looks different from what I have...
I've done the same kind of things mentioned there using my current bin editor, so I'm guessing that I'll need to try that one out, because that editor looks like it goes into a bit more detail.
However, the link to the bin editor there is dead. D=
Thank you, anyways. XD
That's the full bin editor from Novasheep, you can still use the bin tools (txt to bin, and bin to text) and edit an existing one....same end result
I'm wondering why the missions vanish from existence though, when I use txt2bin/bin2txt.
I mean... I try renaming the mission I used in a code format like they used (like D06M01), so I had a short string to work with.
I put my little .bms in the df2.pff, and added all the necessary information into DF2Brief... which I then also put into the df2.pff.. and the .bms just doesn't show in the first place. o.o
Edit: Yup, tried it all again using Novasheep's editor, and I get the same problem.
I pack everything into the pff... DF2Brief, bms, tga... nothing.
I even tried naming my mission D06M21.bms, hoping that it would recognize it as one of the quick missions (all D06) and nothing even appears in the quick mission picker.
Nevermind, it works now... all I have to do is use D06_xx, with any numbers I want in place of the x's (I hope any numbers work), for the missions to actually show on the list. =D